Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sleep Deprivation

This is the biggest issue we have faced and still face with Maeve. And I know other parents have the same problem.

Maeve is nearly nine months old now and by all accounts should be in a reasonable sleep routine. However this is sadly not the case and because of that I am severely sleep deprived most of the time.

Maeve was never a good sleeper - always a cat napper. I think this is a more common problem with breastfed babies due to the feeding schedule when they are newborns. Now that she is older it is a fact that she feeds for comfort a lot of the time through the night. This of course is my own fault!

I have been to sleep school and don't get me wrong, it was great. It's just that it worked for a little and then Maeve "developed" and things changed. I am considering going back just to get a rest at least.

Going to sleep school is a good option for most parents. As I said, for us it was good, but I must admit to being in a quandary about whether to go ahead with it at first. I thought that the methods used (controlled comforting) might be in opposition to my own "bringing up baby" philosophy. Actually, the staff there were fantastic and adhered to my wishes at all times. So I can safely recommend this as an option for desperate parents. And best of all, (at least the centre I attended) it is available free of charge through Medicare.

Nowadays, we still have sleepless nights and am constantly trying new methods. The one that always works quickest is to feed her (breastfeed) back to sleep. Great once a night but not so great four times a night!

One day I'll once again enjoy 8 hours straight, but till then my caffeine habit will grow and grow.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment