Monday, April 27, 2009

Nappy envy

One of the seven deadly sins?

At times, I find myself suffering from nappy envy. When realise what I am doing I just want to walk away from the conversation I am currently holding and bang my head against the nearest wall. Nothing to do with the mother I'm talking to at the time, it's just that I suddenly listen to the drivel I am talking and want to tie my tongue in a knot.

Don't misunderstand me, I like to talk about my baby as much as any new mother, but how can I really hold a half hour debate with another adult about the pros and cons of different types and brands of nappies.

I can find myself getting worked up and envious of the nappies another mum is using. Why do I care about: nappy liners, nappy bags, nappy covers, cloth nappies (pocket or all-in-one?!) or disposables.

Who is this person (me) that can talk all day to her mother-in-law about nappy rash and the differing generational cures? Or the price of Aldi nappies versus Huggies. Or which shop actually has the specials this week.

I don't know but I have done all these things and still do! Aargh!

I remember when I used to have shoe envy. Now there was a real sin. If you are going to sin you may as well do it right. Now most of my shoes are stored in the roof and if I want a specific pair I have to climb in past the cat and the cobwebs to pull out the boxes and find the right one. So I generally don't bother and end up wearing the same pair every day. Who is this style-less girl, sorry I mean woman?

I guess the moral of this little rant is that the envy never goes away, you just transfer it to the most relevant part of your life at the time. Like right now, I am envious of those of you who have a lovely, consecutive eight hours sleep to look forward to tonight.

But that's another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment